Junkee Media today announced it has signed a letter of intent to curate news content for Google’s News Showcase product, in a deal that will significantly boost Junkee’s investment in public interest journalism and cement its status as Australia’s premier youth publisher.
The deal includes funding to curate content for Google News Showcase, which was launched in Australia earlier this month.
Junkee Media CEO Neil Ackland praised Google for its proactive attitude during the negotiations.
“We’re extremely pleased with the outcome of this deal. We’ve said throughout the News Bargaining Code debate that we’ve always valued our relationship with Google, and we’re very happy that it will continue,” he said.
“This is a significant investment that will allow us to set up a content infrastructure that will ensure Junkee’s sustainability well into the future.”
Junkee Media’s Editorial Director, Rob Stott, said the deal was a reflection of Junkee’s unique place in the Australian news media landscape.
“This investment will allow Junkee to create more public interest journalism that speaks to and for young Australians – for more than a decade, Junkee has been a crucial voice in the Australian media landscape, and this investment will help that voice to grow stronger and louder in the years ahead.”
Mel Silva, Managing Director, Google Australia and New Zealand, said: “We’re pleased to welcome Junkee Media to Google News Showcase, an innovative digital media company covering the news that interests and impacts the lives of young Australians.”
“This will build on our Australian partnerships which include Seven News, The Newcastle Herald, The Saturday Paper, Crikey and The New Daily.
“There are now almost 50 Australian media titles signed onto Showcase, with a total of 500 worldwide.
“We’re excited about the early performance of Showcase with Australian partners receiving a million views on their content in just over a week, and we look forward to building on that in the months ahead,” Ms Silva said.